1. Website, not brochure, main publicity medium. Postal, phone, fax, email contact details shown. Sorry, large print and Braille formats are not available.
2. Web address shown on all advertising / publicity media.
3. Please note that anyone with any form of disability considering a stay at Hazelwood Court should first contact the resident proprietors to discuss the suitability of the accommodation and facilities provided in relation to their specific needs.
4. This access statement can be viewed in electronic format on our website Information section. A printed copy can be sent by post or viewed at Hazelwood Court on request.
5. Public Transport.
Rail: Branch line from Preston and/or Lancaster off London-Glasgow West coast main line to Grange-over-Sands station about ½ mile from Hazelwood Court (foot, bus, taxi, proprietors vehicle). Virgin etc. for timetables.
Road: Access from Junction 36 M6 motorway. Details are on the Hazelwood Court website. Car hire possibilities can be discussed with proprietors.
Bus: Intermittent services to local villages from stop at Hazelwood Court drive entrance. Express buses to main towns (Kendal, Barrow, Ulverston) from railway station forecourt. Timetables from Stagecoach website.
Air: Internal and international flights to/from Manchester (direct rail link) and other airports (car hire/bus/rail).
6. Nearest town ½ to 1½ miles, depending on which part of Grange-over-Sands. An excellent Google map s shown on the lLocation page of our website. Limited public transport (bus) but good taxi services.
7. Collection Service. Collection of rail/express bus travellers from outside railway station, by prior arrangement with proprietors.
8. Delivery of provisions. Frozen pre-cooked meals ordered by visitors prior to arrival from local Hazelmere Café/Bakery will be collected by proprietors and placed in appropriate apartment freezers. Supermarket home delivery services (Tesco) by visitor arrangement.
9. Shop-mobility. Contact proprietors for details.
10. Equipment Hire. Wheelchairs and crutches etc., for hire and delivery to/collection from Hazelwood Court, can be requested from British Red Cross, Unit 3, Riverside Business Park, Natland Road, Kendal, Cumbria, LA9 7SX. Tel. 01539 792040 (Open 10.00am 1.00pm) Zimmer frame available from Hazelwood Court proprietors.
11. Radar Toilets. Located in public Ornamental Gardens, Grange-over-Sands (opposite Yewbarrow Terrace shop parade near Toyota car showroom/railway station). Keys can be purchased from Tarragon shop (opposite toilets) or from the Tourist Information Centre (on right along road 250yds towards town centre).
12. Accessible Taxis. Economical Taxis Tel. 015395 58901: disabled ramp access vehicle for hire.
13. Accommodation Policies. We are always pleased to welcome visitors with disabilities. Detailed information about our two ground-floor apartments (Wordsworth and Hepplewhite) is available from the proprietors (phone/email) and by access to descriptive/photographic material on our website as well as in later sections of this Access Statement. We have successfully accommodated many physically impaired visitors accompanied by able-bodied colleagues in these apartments. Many visitors have taken advantage of our willingness to arrange a pre booking inspection to provide a first hand assessment opportunity of the suitability of our accommodation for their party.
Arrival & Car Parking Facilities
1. Car Parking. Ample off-road non-designated parking space for small/medium sized vehicles about 20 yards from building on North side. Space is reservable by arrangement with proprietors for disabled visitors. Magnify the Google Earth facility on our website Location page for clarity.
2. Assistance. By prior arrangement with the proprietors, cars can be parked on your behalf and guests guided to/from the parking area.
3. Drop Off Point. Vehicles can be loaded/unloaded very close to the outside of the main entrances to all apartments on a brief stop basis.
4. Type of Surface. Gravel on main car park and drop-off area. The connecting slope and sloping main access driveway surfaced with tarmac. In extreme Winter weather, extra care is required by walkers on these areas. The proprietors are always prepared to clear ice/snow manually, and use road saltpetre when necessary.
5. Contact Phone Number. Is displayed on the sign at the main drive roadside entry point.
6. Dogs and Pets. Pets are not permitted at Hazelwood Court. Acceptance of Guide Dogs is subject to prior arrangement with proprietors.
7. Signage. All external signage is clearly visible.
8. Bell Button. The bell to proprietors accommodation is located by the main entrance doorway.
9. Porterage. Assistance with luggage from and to cars/taxis/public transport is available by prior arrangement with proprietors.
10. Route from Car Park to Entrance. Most of the parking space is available on a level gravelled area about 25 - 30 yards North of the building and main entrance. There is a 10-12ft wide sloping uncovered tarmac roadway from the car park to the level gravelled area outside the main entrance, automatically lit at night. The main entrance door is 40 wide, with one outer stone step (normal height) from a stone slab set in the level gravel about 7ft wide (no handrails). This provides access to ground floor Wordsworth, and by staircase to first floor Ruskin, Chippendale and second floor Sheraton apartments (See Main Entrance Reception section). Access to Hepplewhite apartment and the shared laundry room is via a different entrance and is up one full and one part step into a glazed, quarry-tiled porch. Provision for the placement of two stone slabs to permit wheelchair access to Hepplewhite and laundry room can be made by prior arrangement with the proprietors. Space would limit a wheelchair users access to the laundry room situated next to Hepplewhite main entrance door, through the porch (see Laundry details later).
Main Entrance & Reception
At Hazelwood Court there is no formal reception area, but through the 40 wide side hung door is a ground floor, foot of stairs, quarry tiled, level surface hallway with colour contrasting magnolia coloured plastered walls and dark oak skirting/door frame/staircase woodwork and panelling, where supplies of visitor related information is displayed. Lit by natural and a manual electric switched time delay system, the hall/staircase provides level access to the ground floor Wordsworth, first floor Ruskin, Chippendale and second floor Sheraton apartments. The stairs have a carved wooden handrail on the right hand side from ground floor to 2nd floor level, fully carpeted, 48 wide with steps going 10½, risers 7½, x 20 to first floor landing and x 18 more to 2nd floor landing. Spacious, naturally and electrically lit landings with 5ft wide settees at both levels. Stairs make two 90 degree right turns at 14th and 17th tread (up to 1st floor) and at 12th and 15th tread (up to 2nd floor). Apartment entrance doors (side hung, white 31 wide) contrast clearly with dark oak frames. Sorry, no lift or stairchair is available.
New visitors are welcomed by resident proprietors responding to bell push activation on the left of main entrance doorway outside. They are provided with verbal information about matters such as parking, rubbish re-cycling/disposal arrangements, visitor information, proprietor availability, laundry-room use, general safety and fire precautions, etc.
General Information and Safety Features
" The apartments available for self-catering holiday accommodation at Hazelwood Court have either two or three bedrooms.
" A choice of ground floor Hepplewhite and Wordsworth, first floor Chippendale and Ruskin and second floor Sheraton is available.
" Some variation in size, layout and configuration is evident, but there are many similarities and features common to all.
" Wordsworth and Ruskin are very similar to each other, as are Sheraton and Chippendale. Hepplewhite is both larger and different from any of the others.
" Kitchens are separated from sitting rooms in all apartments at Hazelwood Court.
" Also, all except Sheraton have an en-suite second bathroom or shower room.
" Designed, approved and constructed for permanent residential accommodation has required the observance of stringent fire regulatory requirements included in the relevant building regulations applicable at the time of construction.
" All internal (except bathroom) doors are 66 x 26 and of a solid or wire glazed half-hour fire resistance construction, fitted with self-closing features and deep frame rebates.
" Floor/ceiling separation between vertically adjacent apartments is of a 1 hour fire resistance construction.
" An internal alternative emergency staircase escape route providing 1 hour fire protection is available from Chippendale and Sheraton, suitably illuminated and signed, emerging at the rear of the building. This is accessed from the inner hall through the respective twin bedrooms in those apartments.
" Wordsworth and Ruskin both enjoy the benefit of a fitted, mains connected smoke/heat fire detection and alarm system, with exit routes to the rear main entrance by the signed and emergency illumination enabled main stairway.
" Other apartments have ceiling mounted battery operated smoke alarms, regularly checked and recorded for operational ability. (See separate Fire Risk Assessment Statement).
Bathrooms, Showerooms & W.C. (En-suite & Shared)
" All apartments at Hazelwood Court have a tiled main bathroom, with standard sized 21 side height bath, basin and W.C.
" Baths have mid-length side-fixed metal hand grips for ease of access/exit, twist taps at waste end and chain-linked rubber waste plugs.
" Baths in all except Ruskin main bathroom have an over bath shower, with either glazed screen or water-repellent drawable curtaining and removable rubber shower mats.
" Basins are ceramic pedestal mounted and wall-attached, with twist taps and chain linked rubber or metal plugs.
" Wall mounted mirrors with electric pull-cord strip light and shaver point are fixed above each basin.
" All W.C.s are ceramic standard sized, with fold down plastic seats/lids and flushed by lever handles.
" Tiling, wall emulsion and door/skirting paints provide good colour contrasting.
" Main pull-switch overhead lighting is of a good standard, plus external lighting window.
" Main bathroom sizes and layouts vary, but none is less than 8 x 7.
" Wheelchair users of main bathrooms in ground floor Wordsworth and Hepplewhite apartments should have no difficulty accessing any facilities.
" Entrance doors are standard sized 66 x 26, side hinged with lever/knob handles, and fitted with locking systems.
" Floors are currently fully-fitted carpeting with loose pedestal/bath side mats, but may be changed to non-slip vinyl at some future date.
" No additional fixed bars are provided: supply of special seating/lifting equipment may be possible by arrangement.
" Towel rails, toilet roll holders, soap trays provided.
" Controllable central heating radiator.
" All apartments except Sheraton have a second en-suite shower room off the main double bedroom, with similar fixtures/fittings/lighting/floor covering/etc. to their main bathrooms.
" They are, however, smaller: minimum 5 x 5 with 7 step into 29 x 29 (external) shower tray, with corner sliding entry doors.
" Hepplewhite has a full-sized en-suite bathroom 8 x 56 with standard sized bath, basin and W.C. and overbath electric shower, with all fixtures/fittings/lighting/etc. as previously indicated.
" Wheelchair access into en-suite shower rooms is not possible, and would not be easy into the en-suite Hepplewhite bathroom.
" Zimmer frame/walking stick users should not find access to any en-suite rooms difficult.
" Unlike arrangements at many UK self-catering properties, all kitchen areas at Hazelwood Court are in enclosed rooms totally separated from the sitting rooms.
" Ruskin and Wordsworth both have dining table and four chairs in living rooms (see website photos).
" In Sheraton and Chippendale, the main dining table and chairs are arranged in the kitchen opposite work surfaced areas (see website photographs). Hepplewhite has a separate main dining room with table and six chairs, but a small table with stools is available in that apartment kitchen for breakfasts and snack meals (see website photographs).
" All apartment kitchens are at the rear or side of the building with a woodland outlook, accessed through standard 66 x 26 doors, with lever or knob operated latches.
" Natural wood hinged cupboard doors with knobs or hanging handles, and easy sliding drawers similarly furnished are fitted under the laminated worktops 3 (90cm) from the close carpeted floors.
" Wall hung cupboards for crockery, glassware, etc. are 18 above worktops.
" Side opening built-in fridge-freezers are provided.
" Built-in full-sized or slimline dishwashers have drop-down doors, as do the built-in electric ovens.
" Four ring mains gas hobs are set into the worktop above the ovens, with controllable hood, extractor fan and lighting above.
" Sinks are variable in size, with two bowls in Hepplewhite, Sheraton and Chippendale. All have twist operated mixer taps.
" Main lighting is by adjustable direction spot lighting and separately controllable under-unit down lights to complement natural light from windows.
" Microwave ovens, toasters, automatic kettles, chopping boards, utensils, fire extinguishers, notices and blankets complete the worktop area provision is each apartment.
" Hot water/central heating boilers are wall hung in Wordsworth, Ruskin and Sheraton kitchens, and under-worktop floor mounted in Chippendale. Hepplewhite boiler is in the adjacent laundry room.
" Timing/switch programmers for hot water and central heating for each apartment are located above kitchen worktops and are under the total control of apartment occupants.
" Adequate cutlery, crockery, glassware, cooking utensils for maximum apartment occupancy are provided.
" All bedrooms are accessed by standard 66 x 26 self-closing half-hour resistance fire doors, fitted with lever of knob operated latches.
" All have fully-fitted carpeting, and Chinese style sculptured rugs approximately 4 x 2 on all accessible bedside floors.
" Beds in each apartment all have sprung bases, spring-interior mattresses and fabric-covered headboards, except for wooden headboards in Chippendale and Hepplewhite en-suite bedrooms.
" Bed sizes/ground clearance are standard double (63 x 46 x 2) (except Hepplewhite en-suite 23 floor to mattress top) and standard single 63 x 3 x 2.
" Adjacent double bed space varies: each side minimum 2, except for furniture restriction near foot of non-en-suite double room in Hepplewhite.
" All twin bedrooms have 2 space between beds, with 2 extra each outer side in Chippendale and Sheraton. Extra outer side space of 46 is only available on one side of one of Hepplewhites twin beds.
" The single bedrooms in Chippendale and Sheraton have 46 space on one side only.
" All beds in all apartments have 4 minimum bedfoot space (much more in some units).
" Bedrooms all have free-standing wardrobes, dressing tables, bedside drawer tables with switchable standing or wall-mounted shaded lamps, occasional chairs, except Chippendale and Sheraton twin rooms, which offer fitted hanging wardrobes with shelving, and also illuminable vanitory basins with back mounted mirrors and underneath cupboards.
" Over bed ceiling main light pull cords in Hepplewhite, Chippendale and Sheraton double and twin rooms. Wall-mounted bedside switches for all bedroom lighting in Wordsworth and Ruskin.
" Framed wall mounted local scene pictures/prints.
" Wheelchair access to the twin and en-suite double bedrooms is possible in Hepplewhite.
" All apartment living rooms have period style fireplaces with white surrounds, mantels, marble-style vertical inserts and horizontal hearths, with gas fires in Hepplewhite, Sheraton and Chippendale, and electric coal-effect fires in Wordsworth and Ruskin.
" Access gained by 66 x 26 self-closing half-hour fire resistant side-hinged lever/knob handled doors. Hepplewhite lounge has additional access by glazed double doors through dining room, convenient for wheelchair users.
" Hepplewhite lounge is very spacious (15 x 22 plus bay window area and other space). 110 ceiling, plaster cornicing, double multibulb, shaded brass ceiling fixed electroliers with dimmer facility, two wall mounted switchable picture lights, and additional table lamps. Antique sideboard, display cabinet, four seater settee and two matching chairs, coffee table, T.V., DVD player, hearthrug and several pictures complete the furnishing. Two large sash windows and four-sash bay provide ample light and superb unspoilt panoramic views (see all website pages).
" Chippendale and Sheraton living rooms are virtually identical and spacious (18 x 15), light (four sash windows) and with multibulb, shaded brass ceiling fixed electroliers, with additional table lamps. Three/four seater settees and two matching chairs with cushions, coffee table, hearthrug, TV, DVD player, side tables and pictures complete the furnishings.
" Wordsworth and Ruskin have similar ceiling lighting and plaster cornicing, but have three shaded brass double wall lights instead of table lighting. Two seater settees and two matching chairs with cushion, nest of tables, hearthrug, TV, DVD player, pictures and dining table with four chairs complete the furnishing.
Grounds and Gardens
" As one might expect in an area famed for its mountains, lakes, valleys, etc. the characteristics of the four acre grounds of Hazelwood Court are quite varied.
" It should be noted that several external hazards (rock face, fire escape, 9-12 deep pond at building rear, steep grassy slope beyond 15 high stone wall at front of view terrace, partially unwalled roadside boundary and uneven, potentially slippery, steeply sloping woodland area) make parental/guardian supervision and accompaniment of young children essential at all times.
" Suitable clothing, particularly footwear, should be worn.
" Discussion of detail with proprietors prior to booking is strongly advised where children, elderly and disabled persons may comprise a visiting party.
" In addition to vehicular parking/access areas already described, the front of Hazelwood Court enjoys a 10 - 20 wide, gravelled, level view terrace, with wooden seats and planters outside the central and southerly part of the building.
" Fronting the northerly section is a continuation 10 wide gravelled sloping pathway from the main drive/car park area.
" Several gravelled/earth pathways 4 5 wide with stone terracing features and some steps undulate in part of the lower front garden below the steep, grassy slope.
" The main tarmacadam drive access from the road requires careful driving skills, as the gradient from the road is moderately steep throughout its length. It is about 10 12 wide with stone walling on one side and stone edging opposite.
" There are several purpose-built public playgrounds for children 1 2 miles from Hazelwood Court.
" Fire assembly point clearly identified by statutory notice board on main car-park wall at top of drive way. Access pathway from rear entrance to apartments.
" No staff are employed at Hazelwood Court: resident proprietors normally available for management requirements. (See Contact Information).
" Please see Pre-Arrival notes for hiring equipment and mobility aids provision, dogs and pets.
" Smoking indoors in any part of Hazelwood is no longer permitted.
" Mobile phone reception varies according to network choice, but usually better in front facing rooms and outside on car-park and front terrace.
" Visitors are requested to consider noise pollution possibilities to others by considerate behaviour and vocal/appliance volume restraint.
" Information contact details for emergency medical/dental problems is available in each apartment.
Resident proprietors: Martin and Susan Stilling: Fire or other emergency.
Tel/Fax: 015395 34196 (24hrs) E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Postal Address: Hazelwood Court, Lindale Road, Grange-over-Sands, Cumbria, LA11 6SP.
Last updated: February 2009